(Psst. Hey Everyone! I’m SO excited to share today’s guest post with you. I’ve been reading A Healthy Passion for some time now, and cannot begin to tell you all the things I love about it. Kate shares some valuable tools for treating your body with the health it deserves. Kate’s blog is jam packed with sources and knowledge for nutrition, decadent recipes, and useful daily tips. Enjoy!)
Hi Gourmetour readers I’m Kate and I blog over at A Healthy Passion where I share my love for delicious food, health, and fitness.
I am so honored to be guest posting for Jenn while she is on vacation. I absolutely love her blog and her healthy lifestyle! I figured since she is always trying and reviewing new restaurants I would give you all a few of my own tips for staying healthy while dining out.
1. Always look at the menu beforehand: once you decide on a restaurant scope out their menu and choose an entrée or two you are interested in. It is a lot easier to make a good choice when you aren’t starving or surrounded by tempting food. If you don’t get the opportunity to look beforehand take your time when you get there and don’t let others choices influence you!
2. If you are hungry have a small snack before you leave, the worst thing is when you arrive at a restaurant starving and have to wait. A small snack also helps you avoid eating the entire bread basket as soon as it arrives at the table.
3. Choose what you want to indulge in: whether you enjoy a glass of wine, fried calamari, the bread basket or desserts pick and choose your indulgences. You can have it all just not at once so make your choices and you won’t have to feel deprived.
4. Share with a friend: Splitting an entrée is not only a great way to save money but also a great way to cut down on portions especially of something you want to indulge in. Add a salad or veggie side to your entrée and you have a great sensible meal.
5. Fill up on greens: order a side salad or broth based soup to start your meal and add vegetable side dishes to fill you up so you are less likely to indulge in something you don’t really want.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for special requests if you have a food sensitivity or even if you are just trying to avoid certain things don’t be afraid to ask them to cater to your needs, you are the guest and it is their job to do their best to take care of you!
7. Enjoy your experience and if you aren’t able to eat as healthy as you would like don’t worry life is all about moderation.
What are some of your tips and tricks for dining out?
Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all soon over at ahealthypassion.com